I came across this just now during lunch and I thought to myself, why do such people exist to make the rest of us miserable?
Then after that thought, came many other unpleasant thoughts of people that irritate me.
– People who stand JUST BESIDE YOU at a crowded restaurant
I don’t know if this happens in other countries as well but I see it very often in Singapore. Over here, people think that if they stand just beside you while you are eating, during a crowded restaurant or café, that it pressures you to eat faster and leave. We were in Long Phung just now for a Vietnamese lunch and it was obviously crowded as you can see from the picture. Why would you stand RIGHT inside the restaurant while everyone else is eating and cross your arms like I owe you my seat? Doesn’t it make you feel awkward? That everyone is having their lunch and here you are, silently plotting how you are going to get our seats?
There are seats outside the restaurant for this specific purpose, you know, for you to wait. But no, they will not be made to wait like normal human beings. They must stand just beside us while we eat and look at every spoonful of food that you put into your mouth and you can almost feel them saying – eat faster, eat faster and LEAVE!
I don’t know about you but this really pisses me off and I really take my time to savour every single beansprout from my chicken pho and stir my drink that much more slowly. Yes I am nasty like that.
– We go to the gym at least 4 times a week and I am really irritated when I meet girls who hog the hairdryers. Especially at lunchtime, after a class, everyone literally runs to the changing rooms, charges ahead of you to the showers and later when you have finished your shower, they are STILL AT THE MIRROR adjusting their hair for the millionth time and applying their eye liner with surgical precision. Doesn’t it make sense that if you are the 1st one out of the class, 1st one at the shower that you should be the 1st one who is done with your hair and makeup? And the strange thing is that even if she is not using the hair dryer, god forbid that you go ahead and use it? Because no, she will whip around and tell you – I AM GOING TO USE IT NOW.
I used to see this behaviour a lot when I first started going to the gym at peak hours and I guess other girls also feel the same way as me. Nowadays I see girls going ahead to reach out for the hair dryer in front of others because if you are not using it, others should be able to use it as well. It does not BELONG TO YOU.
And these girls are often the ones who spend longer in the changing rooms – changing from their work clothes to gym gear, taking out their whole bag of shower stuff like today is the only day they are showering this week (how else do you explain the jumbo sized shampoo & lotion that they lug along every time?? ), hanging out after to chit chat at the mirrors with equally irritating friends of theirs, taking a lot of time to apply their makeup and do their hair just right – than they are actually working out.– There are also those girls who are on trial from the gym who come to class at least 15 minutes late and stand right IN FRONT OF YOU. And if it is a body combat class, you can guarantee that they will stand just in front of you and look at you like they think you should give them the space they need because
a. they are new
b. they are not willing to find their own space nor walk to the other side of the studio
I am sorry but I ain’t doing that, no, scratch that, I am not sorry. You either turn up punctually for classes or you find your own space. You do not stand right in front of me while I am trying to have a good workout because I WILL KICK YOU. And more often that not, these are the ones who frail about so stupidly you wonder why they chose such a high impact cardio class to start their trial with, if they have not exercised more than the obligatory exercise classes that you had in primary school. And this does not mean you go stand directly in front of the other person beside me as well – please recognise that you are driving everyone crazy. And please tie your hair up. That is common decency and hygiene in a sweaty class.
– And in our body combat class, there is this 1 girl who insists that we do not switch the fan on. Often by the last 10 minutes of the class, everyone is very warm and we just want air to circulate in the room. Our body combat classes take place after hot yoga classes so the room is not sufficiently cooled down hence the fan. This person has to stand right near the fan yet gives us an upset look every time we switch it on. THEN WHY DON’T YOU STAND SOMEWHERE ELSE THEN? I don’t understand.
At the workplace:
– I have a colleague who wears slippers in the office almost every day and she walks around so slowly sometimes I get a shock when I look up and she ‘floats’ across. People who don’t know her will ask if she is ok. That is seriously the ‘death question’. She will go on and on about how busy and overworked she is, how she has calls to take at night at 10pm, how many projects she has ON TOP OF HER HEAVY WORKLOAD, how far the office is from her home, how lucky that we are not as busy as her etc. Gosh, I asked her once and I seriously wanted to struggle her. And guess what, once she is in her room, she picks up the phone and calls her friends to chat… she laughs so loudly we can all hear. How busy can she be? And when she spots me with my gym bag, she goes – “oh how nice, you even have time to hit the gym. I don’t even have time to eat!” I used to keep quiet and smile but now I go “oh then you should really look at your time management skills and try to be more efficient”. And then I smile.
I wanna send her this article and tell her not to glorify busy…
– Arkward moments in the lift make me uncomfortable but when the other person pretends to furiously get onto their iphone and check messages when the door closes, I wanna tell them – do you know we can just smile, keep quiet and wait? We work on the 5th floor, it doesn’t take that long for your escape. And miraculously, when you need my advice later on in the day, you are suddenly all nice and friendly.
– Then there is this guy who reads the newspapers at all times of the day at the pantry and when you walk past for water at the cooler, he goes ” Oh I am not relaxing, I am catching up on current affairs to help my work”. Did I ask? It seems like in every office, there are people like that who has to justify what they are doing to you. Nobody asked and everyone knows EXACTLY how much you are contributing.What sort of people irks you the most ?